These days, DIY (do-it-yourself) projects are the new trend! There are countless how-to videos and articles online that encourage people to do more work themselves, from DIY furniture, craft projects and home decor to DIY remodeling. It’s easy to understand why DIY projects are a popular idea. After all, hiring an expert to complete your project will probably cost more than doing it yourself, and when you work on your project alone, you’re able to control all aspects of the project yourself.
In addition, DIY projects can help you improve yourself by learning something new and developing skills you didn’t know you had, and you can continue to improve on and hone those skills afterward simply by watching videos and reading articles, Every time you finish a project, you’ll feel a sense of fulfillment; after all, you managed to do everything on your own! Keep in mind, however, that DIY isn’t necessarily the right approach for every project you want to tackle. There are limits to which projects should be DIY, especially when it comes to a major remodeling project such as patio door replacement and home window installation in Fostoria, OH.
Clear Choice Exteriors, Your Local Window Depot, is the leading window, door and roofing company in Fostoria, OH. In this post, we’ll discuss some of the dangers of DIY window and door replacement, along with the advantages of working with a professional on major projects such as this.
The Dangers of DIY Work You May Not Have Heard About
Almost everybody would like the chance to complete a DIY remodeling project at least once in their lives. After all, it’s fun, it usually helps save money and it can be extremely rewarding. There are times, however, when you should avoid DIY projects, especially if you’re dealing with big renovations that affect the structure and overall value of your home. One of the cons of a DIY job is the lack of warranty. The majority of material manufacturers won’t honor a warranty on their materials if the products aren’t installed by a certified contractor or professional. In other words, the material warranty will be voided if you insist on doing your own window replacement or patio door installation in Findlay, OH. Additionally, it’s easy to purchase substandard materials when planning a DIY window and door replacement. Many homeowners only have the local hardware store to turn to if they need new materials for their project, and the windows and doors available at these stores are mostly one-size-fits-all, which means they can’t be custom-fit to your home’s specific requirements.
Doing the job yourself also requires a significant amount of time and attention. This can be challenging if you work during the day, as you’re likely to work on your project only on your days off. Remember that your windows and doors are essential to keeping your property safe and secure, so failing to complete the replacement project as soon as possible may cause security issues. And while taking the DIY route can save you money initially because you’re not spending money on labor, in time you may still need to call in an expert to help you finish your project, especially if the installation process becomes too complicated or technical.
Top 5 Reasons to Hire a Professional Window and Door Installer
When it comes to your home and family, you want nothing but the best in every regard. From your outdoor deck and landscaping to your bedrooms, bathrooms and kitchen, you want to make sure things are always in tiptop shape. While these are all important, two of the things you should focus your attention on the most are your home’s windows and doors, which are susceptible to all sorts of damage should they be neglected or overlooked. It is for this reason that they should be cared for professionally right from the start.
If you’re considering an upgrade of your home’s current windows and doors, it’s always best to seek help from a professional window company. Here are five of the most important reasons you should turn to the experts at Clear Choice Exteriors, Your Local Window Depot, when using window and door replacement services in Fostoria, OH:
1. They have years of knowledge and experience. Unless you’ve been trained and have developed expertise in the type of remodeling that you’re planning, there’s probably going to be a steep learning curve. This is the reason you should consider hiring a professional for your window and door replacement project in the first place. Before taking on a major project, be sure to take a long, hard look at your skills and experience. Getting into the middle of your upgrade and suddenly discovering you don’t have the required skills to complete it can lead to a less than desirable outcome. Not to mention, it could end up costing you quite a bit of money if you need to call in an expert on short notice to finish what you started or fix your mistakes. Generally speaking, hiring an experienced professional for big projects for will trump any DIY “savings” you may obtain.
2. They are familiar with the latest industrial trends. As a homeowner, you’re always going to be busy with a myriad of pressing matters, such as caring for your family or focusing on your job. And while there are exceptions, if you’re like most homeowners, you aren’t going to have any idea how to go about installing windows and doors. In addition, your limited knowledge on these projects could prevent you from maximizing their full potential for beauty, energy efficiency. and comfort.
Since professional contractors are up-to-speed with the latest trends and practices on these types of upgrades, you can be sure they know what to do to further improve your home. For example, energy efficiency is the growing focus in window replacement today. To make your home as comfortable and energy-efficient as possible, expert contractors will recommend the materials that will best meet the unique needs of your home. These materials could include insulated window and door frames, advanced weatherstripping and/or Low-E glass. Depending on certain factors, such as the local climate and your home’s architectural design, they will be able to ascertain the right materials and installation method. In addition, when our innovative patio doors and energy-efficient replacement windows in Findlay, OH, are professionally installed, they’re guaranteed to save you a good chunk of money and energy by preventing heated and cooled air from escaping your home’s interior.
3. They offer strong warranties. When you hire a professional window and door contractor, you’ll receive a strong warranty on their work which will help guard against unexpected problems with the installation. A lot of reputable contractors also work with the manufacturers of leading brands to provide a warranty for the window and door products the contractors install, in case they encounter defects in the materials. As a result, you don’t have to spend money on repairs or even replacement of these products if problems arise within the period of time they’re covered by the warranty. Choose to DIY and install your new windows and doors on your own, however, and all these guarantees will be void.
4. They have the right tools for the job. When you choose to DIY, you may not have or be able to find the right tools and equipment to complete the job successfully. Professional window and door contractors here in Ohio already have all the necessary tools and equipment to ensure the installation process is successful. With these tools, they’re able to install your new windows and doors in a way that guarantees a tight, secure fit. Professional contractors also have experience with transporting and installing new windows and doors without causing any damage to the units or your property.
5. They know how to keep your home and family safe. A good contractor will be committed to leaving your home looking as good or better as it did before the installation, inside and out. This means doing their best to clean up after putting your new windows and doors in place. We all know how messy construction jobs can be, and a professional will take the responsibility on themselves to remove all construction debris and leave the work site clean. If you wish, they can also dispose of your old windows and doors so you don’t have to worry about anything except enjoying your beautiful new windows and doors.
There are many window and door choices available on the Ohio market today, from fiberglass patio doors to vinyl and composite windows. Whichever window or door product you choose, it’s important to have it installed by a professional to avoid problems in the future, such as air leaks, cracks, rotting material and moisture damage. You’ll also want the window or door replacement service you choose in Fostoria, OH, to provide top-quality workmanship that will improve the general look and feel of your home.
While working with an expert is a must for your window and door upgrade, it’s still a great idea to learn about and understand the how-tos of installing these components. This way, you can talk knowledgeably with your contractor and make sure that all vital steps are followed during the installation process. To help you out, here’s a video about what to expect during a proper window installation project:
Let Our Professionals Handle Your Project
As you may have realized by now, DIY can be a good option for many projects and homeowners. Before you begin, however, be sure to take a self-inventory. A little friendly advice: Never take on a home improvement project if you don’t have the skills, expertise, experience and tools to complete it. The money you save initially will not be worth the stress and headaches of doing it yourself. DIY is great for a wide variety of simple projects, but for more complex projects, hiring a pro is almost always the best way to go.
You can count on Clear Choice Exteriors, Your Local Window Depot, to take care of all your window and door needs. We’ve been the go-to window and door contractor of many Ohio homeowners for years, and we do a spectacular job every time. Through our top-notch home improvement services in Findlay, OH, we’re able to enhance not just the curb appeal, but also the comfort, energy efficiency and value, of hundreds of local homes.