We live in a fast-paced world, where one minute you’re sitting down with a nice cup of coffee and the next time you’re carpooling and rushing to work. We all have a hectic schedule, and the last thing on your mind is your roof. Unfortunately, one of the most common parts of a home that gets damaged is the roof. From strong winds and rains to heavy snow and intense heat, your Ohio roof takes on a lot, so why not take better care of it?
When it comes to your home, particularly your roofing system, an ounce of prevention is certainly worth a pound of cure. In other words, working with a trusted residential roofing contractor in Bowling Green, OH, for regular roof maintenance is good for both your home’s curb appeal and your wallet. If your roof has been damaged significantly by a powerful storm, making repairs might not be the best idea. This is where a complete roof replacement comes in handy. It is sometimes possible (and acceptable), however, to simply fix your roof rather than replace it, and vice versa. Which route you take relies on a number of factors, such as the type and extent of damage, as well as your roof’s age. Read on to learn more about roof repair and roof replacement service in Bowling Green, OH, and the nearby communities.
The Climate We Have in Ohio
Located in the humid continental zone, Ohio has a temperate climate in general. Summers are usually hot and humid throughout the state, while winters may range from cool to cold. Precipitation is also moderate all year round. While the weather here in our home state is nice on most days, Ohio isn’t free from harsh weather conditions. In fact, severe weather is not uncommon in our state. Strong winds, rain, snow, hail and heat can take a heavy toll on your home, particularly on your primary defense system: your roof. For this reason, you should be prepared to invest in roof replacement or emergency roof repair in Fostoria, Ohio whenever necessary.
Inspecting the Roof for Damage
No matter where you live in the state of Ohio, your roofing system is likely taking quite a beating day after day from constant exposure to the elements. If your roof becomes damaged, however, it may lead to serious consequences for your home. This is why it’s extremely important to hire a professional roofing contractor to inspect your system on a regular basis. After all, your roof serves as the glue that holds your entire home together. From your gutters that catch and direct rainwater properly and eaves that keep your attic well-ventilated, having a roofing in good condition is paramount.
One of the most effective ways to keep your roof in top shape is by investing in regular roof inspections. During this process, expert roofing contractors in Fostoria, OH, will scour every inch of your system to make sure it is in good repair all the time. They will start on the ground, move to the surface of your roof and even inspect your system from the attic. This guarantees that any issue that may be present is taken care of to prevent further damage down the road.
Between your roof’s interior and exterior, there are plenty of risks that threaten its condition. Whether it’s a run-of-the-milk leak or there’s an issue with the material or workmanship quality, a checklist will put you in a better position. Here, we’ve outlined some key areas every professional roof inspection should cover—we want you to have absolute peace of mind, and it can be hard to achieve that without being sure if your roof is whether in the right state or not.
- Loose, buckling or missing shingles
- Loose nails
- Damaged or missing flashing
- Broken seals on shingles
- Sagging gutters and damaged downspouts
- Signs of missing caulk used to seal flashing
- Shingle granules in gutters
- Rotted or damaged fascia board
- Sunlight coming through
- Cracks on roof sheathing
- Leaks around chimneys and vents
- Water stains on walls and ceiling
When you have a professional inspect your roof regularly, they will be able to identify if you need to invest in a complete roofing system or just opt for a quick repair. Roof inspections will make sure you catch minor issues before they get even bigger, helping you save a significant amount of money over time.
Signs You Need an Emergency Roof Repair or Replacement
Understandably, a lot of homeowners here in Ohio wonder if they can simply patch a damaged area of their roof rather than replace the entire thing. Some of them may also think to roof over the existing shingles instead of tearing off the old system. Patching and repairing your damaged roof can work, but it can pose some issues. For instance, when you decide to repair an extensively damaged the roof, you may prevent leaks from occuring for a short period, but over time, they may reappear, even bigger than the last time they wreaked havoc on your home.
To determine whether your roof can still function effectively for a long time with just a simple repair, a professional will examine both your roof’s exterior and interior, which will generally show if moisture has already passed through the decking and entered your home. When the damage is too extensive to simply patch, a replacement would be the best course of action. Here are some simple ways to determine whether your roof needs a repair or a replacement:
- Strong winds tear off your roof shingles. While winds of 50 mph may be gusty, they may not seem like a big deal if your comfortable inside your home, warm and dry. For a roof that is at least 10 years old, however, a large gust of wind in the right direction can result in the need for an emergency roof repair. You can expect for a leak to occur once the underside of your shingles becomes exposed. If a few shingles are missing, it’s possible to simply patch and replace a small section of your roof, while a large section may call for a complete residential roof replacement in Fostoria, OH. Be sure to call in an expert right away when you suspect damage on your shingles caused by strong winds.
- There has been an impact on your roof. During a thunderstorm or a snowstorm, there are further threats to your roofing system lurking in the branches above your home. While trees help make your property more sustainable, not to mention more aesthetically pleasing, they can lose limbs or fall down completely as they age. If a large branch falls on your home, it may damage your roof extensively, allowing moisture and other elements to easily enter your home. In cases like this, roof repairs can only do so much, and a complete roof replacement is often the best and most practical solution.
- Ice and snow accumulates on your roof. The freeze-thaw action of ice is effective at eroding entire hillsides, and it’s definitely effective at eroding your roof as well. While snow accumulation is a pretty common sight here in Ohio during winter, if the ice thaws, moves under loose shingles, and then freezes and expands again, your roofing system may suffer from excessive leaking. Pay extra attention inside your home and in the attic during cold months to make sure you’re not experiencing these ice dams. If they have managed to create small punctures in your roof, then professional residential roof repair services in Bowling Green, OH, may just solve your problem. A roof replacement will be required for damaged areas that are too large and complicated for simple repairs.
- Your gutters are becoming more problematic. Damaged gutters may not seem like a roofing issue, but they can lead to bigger troubles that concern your entire home, starting from the gutter and rooftop. Clogged gutters can result in water backups that loosen and damage shingles, causing leaks over time. Gutter repairs or replacements are your best bet for this. If the moisture has already seeped through your sheathing and foundation, however, then a complete roof replacement may be necessary.
- Animals have visited your roof. While a visit by a friendly flock of birds shouldn’t be much of a concern, animals like raccoons, squirrels and woodpeckers can nest in your roof and chew holes in it. If you’ve noticed unusual animal activity around your roofing system, have a professional take a look to check for holes and shingle damage. Depending on the extent of the problem, your roofer may recommend roof repairs and patching of shingles to prevent the problem from turning into a major headache.
Even if you have a leaky roof, you may not need to install a completely new roof in place of your current one, especially if it’s not yet over 10 years old. Sometimes, a combination of professional repairs and preventive maintenance can stop you from having additional problems. For instance, you might simply replace the shingles near your gutters and install new materials around to prevent your roof from lifting. For large-scale problems, on the other hand, a complete roof replacement is always your best solution.
If you’re looking for a roofing contractor who can inspect your roof thoroughly and determine its exact condition and needs, you can turn to Clear Choice Exteriors Your Local Window Depot. Having been in the local roofing scene for many years, we have seen and done it all. We have worked on hundreds of Ohio homes, repairing and replacing roofing systems as necessary. If you let us, we can help you make informed decisions about your home and take the right actions to make sure it remains healthy and functional for many years. Here at Clear Choice Exteriors Your Local Window Depot, it is our goal to be there for you when making these tough decisions.
Clear Choice Exteriors Your Local Window Depot is one of the leading and most trusted roofing contractors in Ohio. To schedule a FREE estimate, simply call us at (419) 435-2161. We’ll get in touch with you right away.