There comes a point in every homeowner’s life that they have to tear off old, damaged roofing and replace it with a new roofing system. When this time arrives, some homeowners may consider taking the DIY route for roof replacement; after all, it’s a growing trend in home improvement right now. This type of remodeling project, however, is too extensive and complicated to handle on your own. As one of your biggest investments, your roofing system needs the very best residential roofing contractor in Bowling Green, OH, working on it. Some homeowners may initially be hesitant about hiring a professional roofer because the labor seems too expensive, but after the job is complete, they find that every dollar spent on the project was worth the value added to their home.
Working with a professional offers endless benefits for homeowners. For one thing, expert roofing contractors in Fostoria, OH, get materials and tools at a lower cost, making roofing services cost-effective in the long run. If you had to purchase on your own all the materials required to complete a roofing project, your costs would quickly add up and often surpass the expense of hiring a pro. Professional roofers also have partnerships with top roofing manufacturers, giving them full access to the best and highest-performing roofing materials and supplies. In addition, a professional roofing contractor will usually offer warranties on both the material and and their labor, guaranteeing that your newly installed system will be covered if material defects or workmanship issues were to arise down the road.
When you hire a licensed and certified contractor with a positive reputation in the industry, you’ll gain peace of mind knowing your project is in good hands. But how do you know which contractor to hire, and what to expect from them? Read on to learn more.
7 Things to Expect From Your Roofing Contractor
Making repairs or replacing your roof completely is never a fun task, and trying to find a qualified roofing professional to handle your project makes the process that much more unpleasant. The competitive nature of businesses in the roofing industry often makes it difficult to locate the ones that will complete the job right the first time and at a reasonable price, which can be frustrating for a homeowner who just wants to get their roof fixed.
If you find yourself at a loss trying to find the perfect roofer, Clear Choice Exteriors Your Local Window Depot is here to help. The following list will help you understand what to expect from each roofing company you encounter and aid you in making an informed decision about your roofing upgrade.
1. The Consultation – Nearly every professional roofing contractor will offer a complementary interview or consultation about your upcoming residential roof replacement in Fostoria, OH. This is a critical part of the roof replacement process, as it gives each potential contractor the ability to evaluate exactly what is wrong with your existing roofing system, as well as help them figure out effective solutions for each issue. Meeting with your candidates face-to-face will also allow you to assess their personality and demeanor to determine if you’re going to be comfortable working with them over the course of the project.
2. Evaluating Your Roofing System – While it’s extremely important that you do not get up on the roof yourself to attempt to inspect the issue, the reputable contractor certainly should. Any roofer who doesn’t take the time to evaluate the roof by inspecting it up close shouldn’t even be considered for the job. Why? The inspection process is the most vital part of the process, as it helps you identify the problem areas, letting you come up with an action plan to fix the issues.
By skipping this process and going straight to the actual repair or replacement, your project is bound to fail. Many licensed professionals will even take a video or capture pictures of your roofing system to give you an up close look at the problems. This will help you understand exactly what steps need to be taken to keep your roof in tiptop shape.
Not only should homeowners expect that verbal or a written presentation be freely given in timely manner, contractors should also use layman’s terms in their explanations. As with most industries, roofing is brimming with industry jargon, making it difficult for the average homeowner to comprehend. The right contractor will be able to provide you with a detailed report on any roofing issues and their recommended solutions, presented in a way that makes it easy for you to understand.
3. The Estimate – All roofing estimates for roof replacement or residential roof repair services in Bowling Green, OH, should be written out and signed by the designated roofing company. A lot of roofers will simply compose a proposal or estimate in their truck or van. Others will take the information with them back to their office and formally mail, phone or email you the signed estimate. After receiving the estimate, look for specific information about the materials to be used, the estimated time frame of the project and any unexpected costs that could arise before the job is done.
4. Answering Your Questions and Concerns – Hiring a roofing company is an important decision that could potentially have serious long-term consequences, so it should be considered carefully. The majority of homeowners will only have to use a roof replacement service in Bowling Green, OH, once or twice in their lifetime, and if you’ve never done it before, you may not know the best way to find a qualified roofer.
First of all, before signing a contract, ask your potential contractor these questions:
What is your full company name and physical address? Whenever you’re preparing to hire a professional roofer, make sure each candidate has a physical location. Operating out of a P.O. box is usually a red flag that it’s not a local company, so always insist on getting a physical address, contact number and full company name.
Do you have a valid license and insurance? Roof replacement and even emergency roof repair in Fostoria, Ohio can be dangerous, which is why we recommend that homeowners never take the job on themselves. It’s vital to have the right tools and safety equipment, along with a vast amount of roofing experience. Reputable roofers hold the necessary permits, licenses and insurance policies for every job they perform.
How long have you been in business? In a complex industry such as home improvement, experience matters a lot. Roofing, in particular, has a lot of competitive players, and the companies that survive are those with an impressive line of services. Such roofers have the experience required to handle even the most complicated projects.
Do you offer a warranty for your work? A lot of reputable roofers offer warranties on both material and workmanship, so be sure to choose someone who guarantees their work for a reasonable period of time. Material and workmanship warranties differ, so ask your contractor about the length coverage and details on what exactly is covered under each warranty.
Will you have someone onsite for me to talk to during the process if I have concerns? Imagine coming home after work one afternoon to find a hole in the roof, exposing your interior to the elements, and a roofing crew that’s packing up to leave for the day. You probably want to know if they plan to cover the hole before leaving, but who do you ask? Before committing to any contractor, it’s essential to know who the project manager is so you can direct your questions and concerns to them.
When you ask these questions prior to making a decision, you should be able to hire a trustworthy, honest and fair contractor to provide you with quality workmanship and service.
5. Finalizing the Contract – The contract serves as your legal protection against any wrongdoings on the part of your contractor, and vice versa. With that in mind, never hire anyone without a clearly defined contract that shows an estimate of all the costs, an outline of the work to be performed and a timeline for completion, as well as a payment schedule. You may also want to have written instructions on the process to follow in case things don’t go as initially planned.
6. Preparing Your Home – Once the contract is finalized and signed, the contractor will usually have the materials delivered to your property, where the material delivery company might use a conveyor belt to unload heavy materials directly at the work site. This is a sign the actual construction is about to start. To make the roofing process easier and less stressful for both you and your contractor, it’s important to prepare your home for the upcoming job. Start by moving valuable items away from the job site, cover your landscaping and clear valuables from your attic. We all know how messy and noisy roofing projects can get, so make sure you inform your neighbors about the upgrade as well.
7. The Replacement Job – You can expect your professional roofing contractor to bring a large crew that will tear off your current roof and replace it with a brand new one, using innovative installation techniques to ensure the success of the job. As much as possible, they will strive protect the exposed areas of your home from weather conditions that might compromise its structural integrity.
Once the job has been completed, you can expect that your trusted roofer will thoroughly clean up their mess and remove all debris, along with the old roofing materials. Your final payment should only be settled once you’re completely satisfied with the work.
Our Experts are Here to Help
Most homeowners maintain a lasting relationship with their preferred roofing contractor, so take your time when researching potential candidates. You deserve someone who has your best interests at heart, yet also has the skills, expertise and experience to keep your roofing system in excellent condition.
If you’re considering a new roof or need a roof repair, you can count on Clear Choice Exteriors Your Local Window Depot. We have a proven track record of excellence in handling complete roof replacements and installations, as well as routine roof repairs. Before starting your project, we will thoroughly assess your roof and provide you with an honest budget estimation, as well as the estimated time of completion for your upgrade. You can be confident that we will meet and even exceed your expectations in every aspect of the project.